Immigration Issues/L2 Visa change to H1B

Question
Will my time in U.S as a L-2 visa count against the six years I'm allowed in H1-B temporary professional working status? If I was L-2 for 3yr and changed to H1B will I have 3yr of H1 or 6yrs?

Answer

You will have only 3 years in H-1B status, and will not be allowed to extend it. The time that you have already spent in L-2 status counts towards the six years aggregate allowed in H visa status.

The only way to extend the H visa status beyond that is if you are supported for a green card through the filing of an application for labor certification (also known as PERM) at least one year before you complete the 3 years in H-1B status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora