Immigration Issues/L2 visa expiry

I am currently in the USA on an L2 visa courtesy of my husband being on an L1 intra-company transfer visa. I have been working for aproximately 2 years having gained an EAD also.

My husband and I are due to be filing for divorce this month and my questions are this:

1.) Our L1/L2 visas expire for the final time (7years) on December 1st 2007, obvioulsy as we will be in process of divorce my husband and or his company will no longer be willing to sponsor me as a dependant. What alternatives are open to me seeing as my visa will expire anyway?

2.) We are also filing a joint application for a Green Card (this has been in process for almost 3 years). Does the fact that I have moved out of the filing addressand will soon be divorced affect my part of the application?

thanks for your time

I am sorry but there are not many alternatives.  You could perhaps go on H1 status if you can find a nonprofit employer or change to F1 status.  Perhaps others but too numerous for this forum.  I would suggest that you consult an attorney to exhaust your options.

If you are divorced you are not a derivative applicant anymore.  Thus, a change of address will not matter because you will not be able to adjust your status.

Sorry, I could not give you any more encouraging advice.  Good luck
Mark Ashley  

Mark Ashley

Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

American Jurisprudence Award recipient