You are here:



I'm an Italian man aged 48 who should like to live an work in the United States legally. I have worked in the Italian justice administration for nearly 20 years; the first 10 years i worked as a judicial driver that consisted in taking judges from a place to another by armored cars. In the   remaining years i continued to work as a public relations employee. Now i no longer work and get a monthly disability pension of 617 euros a month (nearly $804). For now i have my parents who integrate my poor pension with extra money,but my parents are elderly and soon they will die and i will remain lonely, facing a lot of expenses counting only on my poor pension. So i'm keeping in consideration the fact of finding a job in the United States and live a good and dignified life over there. I don't live in the U.S.A. and i'm resident in Italy. I would be grateful to you if you will indicate me all the steps to immigrate in the U.S.A. and some useful suggestions.
Unfortunately i don't have relatives in the United States!

         Thank you

The easiest way to get a "green card" is to marry a US citizen.  There are a lot of women here who would love to meet an Italian gentleman, but I would not inflict an American woman on my worst enemy.

Another way is to make an investment, but it does not sound like you have the money.

You could come as a student, but you would need to prove you can afford the tuition.  Again, doesn't sound like you have the money.

You could try to find a job, but with your qualifications I don't think you would get a visa since you would have to prove there are no US workers available to fill the job.

Marriage is the easiest.

Best of luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.