You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marriage and Green Card


I will soon be marrying my German boyfriend. We currently live in the USA and he is here on a work visa. Will he recieve a Green Card upon marrying me? How long does it take to get a Green Card? We are having a child in May and want to continue living in the USA. Thank You for your time! :-)

When you get married you can apply for a Permanent Resident Visa. He will receive a Conditional Permanent Resident visa which requires after 2 years for an application to remove the conditional status. If at that time you fail to support the application, his visa expires, and he will not get a Permanent Resident Visa.

I have given up on telling people how long it takes since I seem to always be wrong.  As soon as I figure out how long it takes, it changes. It takes as long as it takes!

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.