Immigration Issues/Marriage and Green Card

Question
I will soon be marrying my German boyfriend. We currently live in the USA and he is here on a work visa. Will he recieve a Green Card upon marrying me? How long does it take to get a Green Card? We are having a child in May and want to continue living in the USA. Thank You for your time! :-)

Answer
When you get married you can apply for a Permanent Resident Visa. He will receive a Conditional Permanent Resident visa which requires after 2 years for an application to remove the conditional status. If at that time you fail to support the application, his visa expires, and he will not get a Permanent Resident Visa.

I have given up on telling people how long it takes since I seem to always be wrong.  As soon as I figure out how long it takes, it changes. It takes as long as it takes!

Good luck.

Alexander J. Hay