Immigration Issues/Marriage and Immigration

Question

A friend in California is thinking of marrying a woman from Bolivia (who has been here for a number of years on, I think, a student visa.

How long do they have to be married for her to get citizenship? (Or a green card or whatever it is that means you don't have to be married to continue the process?

Many thanks,

Steve

Answer
The first step is to get married and then apply for a Permanent Resident Visa.  If married less than 2 years, the visa will be conditional. That means after two years the couple will need to apply to have the conditional status removed.  After 3 years from the date of issuance of the PR, spouse can file for citizenship.

Alexander J. Hay