You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marriage and Immigration



A friend in California is thinking of marrying a woman from Bolivia (who has been here for a number of years on, I think, a student visa.

How long do they have to be married for her to get citizenship? (Or a green card or whatever it is that means you don't have to be married to continue the process?

Many thanks,


The first step is to get married and then apply for a Permanent Resident Visa.  If married less than 2 years, the visa will be conditional. That means after two years the couple will need to apply to have the conditional status removed.  After 3 years from the date of issuance of the PR, spouse can file for citizenship.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.