Immigration Issues/Marriage Issue


I am British and have overstayed my I-94 by one and a half years now.  I have been living with a American girl whom I met on vacation the whole time, and we are planning on getting married this summer. Can you give me some sort of idea as to how this is going to be viewed by the INS with regards to my submitting a petition.  What should I expect?

Well you are lucky.  Because if you overstay your visa by more than 180 days than you are required to leave the US and stay out of the US for 3 years.  If you overstay for more than 1 year, the time period goes to 10 years.

The only exception:  Marriage to a US citizen.

I would suggest you get married as soon as possible.  Otherwise, if you are deported you will have no defense.

Take care.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.