Immigration Issues/Marriage Issue

Question
I am British and have overstayed my I-94 by one and a half years now.  I have been living with a American girl whom I met on vacation the whole time, and we are planning on getting married this summer. Can you give me some sort of idea as to how this is going to be viewed by the INS with regards to my submitting a petition.  What should I expect?

Answer
Well you are lucky.  Because if you overstay your visa by more than 180 days than you are required to leave the US and stay out of the US for 3 years.  If you overstay for more than 1 year, the time period goes to 10 years.

The only exception:  Marriage to a US citizen.

I would suggest you get married as soon as possible.  Otherwise, if you are deported you will have no defense.

Take care.

Alexander J. Hay