Immigration Issues/Marriage on L-1


I am a US citizen engaged to a Filipina woman.  She is here on an L-1 work visa.  We would like to get married but we are unsure of the consequences for her work.  When does she get to resume work?  And what documentation would be required?

I would suspect this would be almost seamless.  Although technically once you apply for her visa she will have abandoned her L-1, you can apply for a temporary work authorization while the visa is being processed, and under such circumstances I don't think she would be required to stop working unless you went up to her employer and insisted that they fire her.  All that would be needed is to get the paperwork in quickly and when the work authorization comes in let her company know of her change of status.

In fact I am not even sure if there will be a technical violation since some temporary work visas allow "duel intent" and the L visa may be one of those visas.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.