You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marriage to a USA Citizen


Thank you very much for your prompt answer concerning the change of my visa status. I read all the info and since I don't have a degree it is impossible for me to aplly for a H1B status. Well, then I assume that the best option would be getting married to my boyfriend who is an American Citizen. Do you agree that this might be the easiest solution? If I marry him , I will become an American citizen and I'll have a green card right? So, am I going to be able to work here after having the green card? How long does it take to get a green card? Would I be able to visit my family in Brasil while waiting for the green card? Thanks you very much and your answers are very helpful. By the way, I'm recommending this website to some friends, thanks again.

Marriage for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit is fraud and can lead to severe consequences.  You can apply for a green card once married but it will take several years to become a US citizen.  You can apply for work authorization and permission to travel.  

Again, marriage for the sole pupose of obtaining an immigration benefit can have extremely severe consequences to both you and your sponsor.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.