You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marriage to US citizen on F1 status and quitting the school


Hello Alexander,

I am ESL student on F1 status since February 2007. I've married to US citizen and already have filed AOS package in the end of march 2007. My ESL program started at the beginning of April, 2007.

School official told me that I have to maintain F1 status until my GC approved. Is it true? Can I quit the school now, even if I have been attending classes only for two weeks so far?

Thank you for answer in advance.


It is not true.  They are giving you bad advise.  Once you have the visa application filed with an Adjustment of Status Application, you should be able to get a temporary work authorization and stay in the USA without the F1 visa. Anyway, the F1 visa was terminated once you filed the permanent resident visa petition, so that is just totally wrong.

Get the help of an attorney if this does not make sense to you.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.