You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marriage with an illegal Mexican


I want to Marry my girlfriend who is an illegal Mexican. What are the steps i need to take after we get married? Does she have to go back to Mexico or is there a way around that? Thanks for yout time..

First of all, when you say illegal, do you mean she entered illegally, or that she entered legally and overstayed her visa? This makes a big difference.

If she entered legally, and overstayed, you can simply marry her and file for her.

If she entered illegally, the issues become much more complicated, and it would take too long to go into here. I advise you to contact an HONEST immigration attorney and review all the various options before you decide what to do.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.