You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marriage & immigration


Dear Sir, I am a permanent resident living in NJ. My girlfriend has a J-1 visa and she is an Au pair at Connecticut. Her visa is expiring at march 2006 but it is possible to extend it 1 year more. We love each other and we would like to get married. My question is what is the most shortest and most practicable way for her getting a permanent resident card. I still have 4 years ahead of me to apply for citizenship. In this case should we get married asap and apply to standart procedures or is it better to wait for my citizenship 4 years more. Also during this application period is it possible for my fiance to get a legal work permit and a temp. visa?

Thanks in advance,

Full yours  

A full analysis of the situation and a recommendation for the best course of action for your particular case is far beyond what I am able to do in this forum.  There have been recent changes in the J-1 rules that prohibit extensions.  However, I can't say for sure that they apply to your wife's situation.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.