You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marriage visa between a US citizen and UK citizen


Mr. Hay,
 I'm a US citizen and recently married a UK citizen. He came over for a 2 week stay (mainly to get married) and is now back in the UK. I've heard it would be faster if we hadn't married, but it's too late for that. Would his coming back into the US without a Fiance visa be illegal? Do we have to file for the green card before he gets here? Would it be easier for me to go to the UK? Time frames only matter to us in as much as we want to be together ASAP. Thank you for your time and assistance.

You really should have chatted with an attorney before you leaped into all this. The best thing to have done was to get married, and then file for his petition here.  Now that he is married to you, there is a very real chance that on his next return he may be detained.  Unlikely but possible.  Then when you petition for him there is a small possibility that he will be denied because of his "fraudulent" entry. It will be deemed fraudulent since he was married to you and did not enter with the intent of leaving, but of becoming a permanent resident.  

I suggest you contact a local attorney familiar with immigration issues.  Whatever you spend now will be more than what you would have had to spend if you had done it correctly the first time. But it will be much less than what you will spend if you mess it up some more. I am not trying to be rude or insulting.  You didn't mean to make a mess. You didn't know any better.  

But now you do.  Hopefully you will know that you need to get some professional help with this matter.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]