You are here:

Immigration Issues/Getting Married on a B1/B2 Visa


QUESTION: Alexander.. My girlfriend is the in the USA and I visited her a couple of times.We intend to get married in January ,  I have a b1/b2 visa. My question is.. Can I visit and get married to her then stay there until my documents are processed there? Can she file for employment authorization for me? or do I have to come back home?

ANSWER: Yes.  That is the best way.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks for your answer.

The immigration normally gives me 6 months in the country.. what if she starts the paperwork  and i get employment authorization to work.. Do I have to leave when the 6 months is up or can I just stay and continue working until my filing is processed? How much do you think it will cost us in total  for filing and everything..give me an average . Thanks. I hear this vary for every State but just give me an average figure.

Once the petition and application are submitted, your B visa will terminate. You are now legally in the country pending the outcome of the visa petition and application. You will be fine for as long as it takes to get the thing done.

Costs are on the website. I have never heard of such costs varying.  They are US immigration filing fees. Same in all states.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.