Immigration Issues/Married to green card

Question
My brother in law entered the US on a Student visa and has expired for over 4 years.  He is afraid that if after he got married and apply for green card the INS may deport him.  Is it likely?  Also, people has been telling him that he would need to exit the US to have his interviews.  Can he just stay in the US for his interviews?
Thanks for your help.

Answer

If your brother-in-law is married to a U.S. citizen, he can be sponsored and adjust status in the U.S. since he initially entered the U.S. legally. In fact, I highly recommend that he continue to remain in the U.S.--if he departs the U.S. before being granted resident status, he will be barred from returning to the U.S. for at least 10 years.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora