Immigration Issues/Mexican immigration


Hello there!  I am 23 y/o here in the United States and don't know anything about immigration laws, but here is my question.

I have a friend living in Mexico that wants to get a "Visa" to come to the United States to live here.  

How does the US Embassy decide who can come to the United States and who cannot?  

Is there anything I can do to help my friend get a Visa, or citizenship?

Thank you!

Well there are very ways that an individual can come to the US legally:

1.  Marry a US citizen.

2.  Get a job in the US which requires a Professional Degree (of course you have to have such a degree).

3.  Make an investment in a business which you intend to run in the US.  The investment needs to be at least 50,000.00, but better if 100,000.

4.  Become a student.  You must prove that you can afford to pay the tuition.

5.  Visa Lottery.

Best of luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]