Immigration Issues/N400 filing delihma

Hi Mark

I had 2 questions regarding naturalisation process

1. I had an arrest 2.5 years ago which resulted in dismissal of charges no conviction. I am married to a US citizen I applied for citizenship 3 months ago. From what i understand a person has to show good moral charecter for 3 years. My fear is the application may be denied under descretion as i have applied before the 3 year time. Is the period counted from the date of "the act" in my case or from the date a person reenters the US ( i travelled out a month ago ). If its from the date of act then I am eligible to apply now question is can i put in a second application and kick off the process even though the first one has not been approved or denied ? Basically if the first one gets approved i loose filing fee with the second but save time if first get denied.

Thanks a lot for your help

You are required to show good moral character for five years prior to the date of your N400 application.  As a general rule, if you have not been convicted the USCIS could not use it.  There are exceptions to this rule, I would suggest that you consult with an attorney and provide him all documents related to the case to make sure.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Mark Ashley

Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

American Jurisprudence Award recipient