Immigration Issues/Name Change



I rec'd my greencard when I was 6 year old through my mother who was a US Permanent Resident at the time. When the US embassy issued the my greendcard it did not have my surname on it, just my first and middle name. My mom never corrected the problem infact she went ahead and applied for US citizenship using the same name on the greencard. Now I am trying to get my NJ driver's license and this is proving to be  difficulty because DMV will not issue me a license because the information they got from my high school has my last name while my US passport doesn't. Adding insult to injury, my mom lost the original Jamaican passport that had the greencard stamped in it. Is there some way I can get my last name added to my US passport? I am 16 years old and had no control over this event. Thank you very much.

To correct a Permanent Resident Card (I-551), you must file an form I-90. IF the error was the fault of INS or USCIS, you do NOT have to pay the fee. IF the error was your fault, you DO need to pay the fee.

Therefore, please attach to your I-90 your incorrect Permanent Resident Card (greencard) and, if possible, a photocopy of the original application that you submitted that had the correct information on it (as proof that your original documentation was correct).

For further information, and for the form itself, please see I-90 forms entry page.

On the I-90 form itself, under "Part 2: Application Type," you should mark "2.d." as the reason for filing (NOTE: "2.d." states: "My card was issued with incorrect information because of INS administrative error. I have attached the incorrect card and evidence of the correct information.")

Again, you do NOT have to pay any fee if the error was made by INS or USCIS.  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Immigration Law enforcement Border Patrol


30 years Immigration law enforcement/management, criminal investigations, Homeland Security including Border Patrol operations

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]