You are here:

Immigration Issues/Naturalization Number



I am a US Citizen (born in England) who is submitting form I-130 Petition for an Alien Relative (mother).  The petition document is asking for both my naturalization certificate and a copy of my unexpired passport.  I have my passport but not my naturalization certificate (it's been years and I don't even remember getting one, but I assume I must).

Is there any way around having to apply for the certificate and paying the $210?  As the fee for the I-130 is $185, I don't want to have to pay another $200 just for the privilege of finding out what my certificate number is.

I noticed on the instructions for the I-130 from several years ago, it stated that a valid US passport would suffice in place of all other documents, but the most recent instructions now seem to indicate that both are required.

Any advice you could shed would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance,


You can give your passport as proof of citizenship, but the I-130 form requires your certificate number, the date and place of your naturalization and your "a" number which are all on your certificate.

Rather than file the N-565 for a replacement certificate, you can file a G-639 which is free. It will take several months to process.


Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.