You are here:

Immigration Issues/Non-Resident Canadian to US


Dear Mr. Hay, I hold dual citizenship (one with Canada) but have not been a Canadian resident in 4 years.  To immigrate to the US to marry my fiance, what is my best option? a) To enter through ground/air via Canada b) To apply for Fiancee Visa or Spousal Visa in my resident country and wait? c) To enrol in a university in the US, get married and change status? or d) another option I have not considered? Many Thanks

If you can legally enter (with an inspection) then that is the best way, then get married and start the visa application. You will be able to work while you wait for the visa, and you will be able to leave if you ask for a permission to re-enter. If you cannot enter legally (that is with an inspection), then I would suggest you apply for a fiance visa.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.