Immigration Issues/Non profit H1B TO Profit H1-B

Question
Hello,   I am working for a non-profit organization currently and would like a change to profit.My H1-B is currently not under cap. As new cap H1-B quota will start on October 1st, can I change and work for profit organisation from July or before October? Does non-profit H1-b also comes under portability of H1-b transfer? Will really appreciate your help.  Thank

Answer
Hi Ramesh,

You will be subject to the cap if you transfer H-1B to a for-profit organization (unless it is an educational institution).

The H-1B petition will be filed by the for-profit requesting start date of October 01, 2006. You will be granted permission to be employed by the for-profit on October 01 (not earlier than October 01). The for-profit should file within the next couple of weeks to be sure that you are within the visa cap. I recommend that you continue to employed by the non-profit until at least the end of September.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora