Immigration Issues/OPT to H


Hi, I have an OPT visa.  I have my masters in teaching and music.  I have not
been able to find a more pemannent position teaching as yet though.  My
questions are as follow.  When is/was the deadline to file for an h1 visa.  Also
are there any other ways I can stay in the country while I am pursuing a job.   I
was thinking about opening up a music school.  What would my immigration
status have to be in that situation.  Thanks for your help..

There are no visas available to open up music schools in your circumstance nor are there any H visas available until October 2008 with a private employer however it could be possible to get an H approved with a cap exempt employer such as a public school or university.  In addition, there are no visas available to stay in the US and pursue employment.  Perhaps going back to school on an F while looking for work would be your best option.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.