Immigration Issues/OPT to J1


I am currently working on my OPT,which will expire on Jan2008. I couldn't get H1b this year.Now I am getting an offer for a permanent job. Is there any way I can work beyond my OPT. Someone told me I can transfer to J1,is that true? If so from J1 can I apply for H1b for 2008?

Please answer my questions.



Dear Ruhnaz:
Usually the J-1 employers are universities and research organizations. Additionally some J-1 visa require a two year residence outside the US after the completion of the J- visa program.
To obtain a J-1 Visa the employer should be a J-1 program sponsor or should contact a J-1 sponsor to do so. check for information on J-1 visa.

Ramasamy Krishnan
Ashley & Krishnan
9801 Westheimer
Suite 302
Houston, TX 77042

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.