Immigration Issues/OPT question


My F1 visa is expired 3 months back but my OPT is valid for another 8 months. My question is that what shall I do if I want to India on Emergency vacation for 3 weeks? Do I need to get a visa in India or is it OPT a visa?

Dear Venkat:

You would have to obtain a F-1 visa to reenter. You are eligible to receive the visa if you have not violated your F-1  status in any way. But as a practical matter, there may an element of risk in doing so. And I would suggest that you not take the "emergency" vacation.

Ramasamy Krishnan
Ashley & Krishnan
9801 Westheimer
Suite 302
Houston, TX 77042

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.