You are here:

Immigration Issues/OPT status if i have applied for naturalization


Hi, I am a masters student on F1 status in US, However my parents are permenant resident and they filed a I-130 form for my greencard. Now I am graduating in december 07 and want to apply for OPT, can I do that from my college or do need to go through a diffrent channel since I have applied for some other status too?

F-1 status does not allow dual intent, so the pending I-130 would be problematic more so if you plan to trave outside the US.
Under the circumstances, the only option for you to pursue your OPT through your college. There are no other "channel" that I know of, based on the information you have stated.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.