Immigration Issues/Optional Practical Training to H-1B

Question
Hello,
I am currently working in US using my OPT.  My current employer wants to hire me for a longer period, but from the moment that my OPT expires (08/31/06) and the H-1B Visa (advance degree exemption) are available (10/01/06) there is a month gap.  My employer is hesitating about hiring me because of this month gap.  Can I extend my current OPT so I am able to work in September until I change my status?  What other options do I have?
Thanks for the advice,
Gonzalo

Answer
Hi Gonzalo,

You cannot extend OPT beyond the one-year maximum.

Perhaps you can convince your employer that you are a dedicated employee and are therefore willing to "volunteer" some time at the company during the one month absence.

There is no other option as the start date for H-1B can be no earlier than Oct. 01, 2006.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora