Immigration Issues/Options

Question
My fiance and I have beentogether for three years.  We have a one child together born in the US.  Before we met, my fiance came to the US illegally at the age of 17.  What options do we have to make her status legal?  I was thinking of having her to return to Mexico and petition for a fiance visa.  Is this a good idea?

Answer

When you are married, your wife will be unable to adjust status in the U.S. since she initially entered the U.S. illegally. She is not covered under an amnesty provision (also known as section 245(i)) since an immigrant petition was not filed for her by the end of April, 2001. The following website is helpful: http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/Section245iLIFEAct_032301.pdf

Even though she is not eligible to adjust status in the U.S., I do not recommend that she depart the U.S. If she does so, she will be barred from entering the U.S. for 10 years.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora