Immigration Issues/PERM, H1 transfer

Question
Dear Sir,

My H1 expires in December 2005. My present employer has filed for labor certification in November 2004 under regular process. I'm working with this employer for last 5 years.

I heard that PERM is replacing regular/RIR labor certification process in March 2005. I want file under PERM. I understand for this I'll need to change the employment and transfer H1. My questions are;

1. Can I change the employer in sixth year of H1 and still get the 7th year extention through new employer (since labor is already filed before 365 days)?
2. What is the estimated processing time for labor under PERM?
3. Do I have to wait a year after labor is filed to change the employer.

I hope questions are clear enough.

Please advise what other options I have?

Thanks and regards

Kamran Khan

Answer
Hi Kamran,

You will be unable to convert RIR (your labor case was probably filed under RIR rather than regular-track Labor Certification) to PERM without losing the priority date. The priority date is crucial for you since the labor (whether RIR or PERM) must be pending for at least one year before you can file for 7th year ext. in H-1B.

Therefore, converting from RIR to PERM is not an option for you. The 7th year ext. (because RIR will have been pending for one year) can be through a different employer. If you want to change employers now, the new employer's H-1B approval will only be until Dec. 2005 (and can then be extended in one year increments).

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora