You are here:

Immigration Issues/Possible double nationality


Hello. My name is Mario. I was born and live in Mexico. My mother is also mexican and my father was born in the States. He has the American nationality and lives in Mexico with an FM2. A lot of people have told me that I can get the double nationality simply because my father is american, but that I can only get it if I am younger than 21. I am 19 and in March I am turning 20. Is this possible? If so, where can I apply for it and what are the costs/requirements. Thanks in advance.

Sec. 320. [8 U.S.C. 1431] (a) A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a citizen of the United States when all of the following conditions have been fulfilled:

(1) At least one parent of the child is a citizen of the United States, whether by birth or naturalization.

(2) The child is under the age of eighteen years.

(3) The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence.  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Immigration Law enforcement Border Patrol


30 years Immigration law enforcement/management, criminal investigations, Homeland Security including Border Patrol operations

©2017 All rights reserved.