Immigration Issues/Property


I am a F1 visa holder and I am in California studying. Recently a friend of mine has found some financial problems and he wants to transfer 90 percent his home which is worth about $800,000 to my name in order to avoid any risks. He says that afterwards I have to give him a note in the notary office declaring that I am giving hime this 90 percent as a gift and I will not claim this property in the future. Here are my questions:

1-I have no social security number since I have no job on campus; can I own property without SSN?

2-Is it possible that I may face any kind of legal problems in the future; I want to have my OPT in this country; is this issue going to have any problems for me?

3-Other than home taxes,and loan payments which has to be paid by my friend, is this going to make me liable for any financial issues?

4- Will I be liable for this property after I give it as a gift back to my friend?

Thanks a lot for your attention;

Saeed Moussavi

PS:Please keep my name private.

I didn't read the through the whole thing because I am very busy, but...


Worst of all it won't work.

He needs to go to an attorney and have this done properly. This is what I do for a living, and I can help him.  But not if he does things like that.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.