Immigration Issues/Question on H1B 6 year limit

Question
Dear Sir/ Madam,

I got my first H1B visa on July 1999 and came into US on Aus 1999 for my first job. Last year I changed my employer and I recently received my new H1B approval valid till Nov 2006.

Just confused how the 6 year limit works? My 6 years of H1B should be over by Aus 2005 but my new approval allows me to stay more than 7 years on H1B. Will I be violating if I stay more than 6 years even if I have valid H1B approval

Please Help!

Thanks a lot for your time in advance

Answer
Hi Kirupa:

The H supplement to Form I-129 that was filed as part of your H-1B petition asks about prior periods of stay in H-1B status, and this question has to be answered accurately.

My recommendation is to assume that your H-1B status will expire in August, 2005 since you may not be able to assume as a defense that it was USCIS (fomrerly the INS) error to grant you more than six years.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora