Immigration Issues/Question about a foreign medical graduate seeking Green Card.

Question
Question about a foreign medical graduate seeking Green Card.

Hello

I am doing a residency in the United States in Family Medicine on H-1B Visa.

I would like to get a Green Card after my residency training ends.

Can anyone tell me how this is possible?

What are the avenues?

I have heard about a 'National Interest Waiver' and also about the EB-2 category of employer based sponsorship, but I don't know the details.

Any information or stories would be most helpful.

thanks!

Chirag Ameen
admin@caribbeanmedicine.com

Answer
It would take a couple of book chapters to adequately describe the process but, very basically, an National Interest Waiver is quicker but you must show that your presence is in the National Interest.  For physicians, this is typically accomplished by showing practice in a medically underserved area.  There are additional requirements and restrictions.

For a regular EB-2, the employer would need to advertise the position and show that there are no qualified US workers available for the position.

James D. Mills, Esq.