Immigration Issues/Question



If I am a US citizen visiting a foreign country such as Mexico, what steps must I take if I wish to obtin a green card to have a foreigner come with me and work for me in the US?  

First you need to recruit for the position (newspaper ads, etc.) to show that there are no qualified US workers that are willing to accept the position.  Then you file a Labor Certification with the Department of Labor.  Once that is approved, you file an I-140 with USCIS.  When that is approved, USCIS sends the file to the National Visa Center, who requests more documents and forms.  Once they receive that, the National Visa Center transfers the file to the appropriate consulate.  The consulate schedules an appointment and prior to the appointment the alien must get a physical form a US Civil Surgeon and also get police and other records.

The above is a very brief and incomplete overview.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.