You are here:

Immigration Issues/Re: Petitioning Children


I am now an american citizen and I would like to petition my illegitimate children and they are outside the US.  I did not mentioned them in my biographic data, when my wife (american citizen) because she did not want petition them.

Will I have problems now that I want to bring them over, and it looks like we will be having a divorce soon.

What are my options?

It was a mistake to not list them, since there was no need to file for them, only to disclose their existence.

However, if you can prove they are yours, it should be possible.  I suspect you are going to have to do DNA tests to prove the children are yours.

Get an attorney to help you with this.  It is going to be a little complicated.

If you would like my office's help, please let us know.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.