You are here:

Immigration Issues/Re-entering UK with old debt


After receiving your greecard, would it be safe to re-enter the UK from the US (even after leaving old UK credit card debt that you regretfully never paid)?  If you come back to the UK for a visit, should there likely be a problem with you coming and going?

This is an issue of UK law, and as far as I know, debt prisons are no longer part of the British Legal System.  You say you have a Greencard (which usually means a US Permanent Resident Visa), you do not state what nationality you are.  If you are citizen of the UK, you will probably have a better idea about this than me.  If you are not a UK citizen, then this will depend upon your visa into the UK more than anything else.  But if you are concerned, why don't you call the British Consulate and just ask them.  I have found them to be quite open and willing to help.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.