Immigration Issues/Ref: us citizenship

Question
Good day,
Can you tell me:
1. On what basis can a US permanent resident applying for citizenship be rejected?
2. If a permanent resident who is applying for citizenship is rejected can he or she find out the reason (or on what basis) and does he or she have options to appeal
3. What are things that give a resident merit in gaining citizenship?

Sam

Answer
1.  Lack of good moral character during the look back period (normally either 3 or 5 years), misrepresentation anywhere in the immigration process, criminal acts, inability to pass the civics or language tests, or abandonment of the green card are the most common reasons for denial.  There are dozens of others.

2.  Yes, normally you get a denial notice explaining the reasons for denial.

3.  There are more than a dozen different categories that authorize application for citizenship and each has its own requirements.

James D. Mills, Esq.