Immigration Issues/Second job on H1 Visa

Question
Hi, thanks in advance for you help. I am current in th eUS on an
H1B visa as an engineer. I am currently getting my MBA part
time. When I am complete I would like to teach as an adjunct
instructor on a part time basis. Can I dod this under my H1B
visa? Second part.... Next september my company plans to apply
for a green card for me...while I am in the application process
for a green card...can I teach then?

Thanks Karla

Answer
Hi Karla,

H-1B status is employer-specific, so if the university files an H-1B petition for you, you can work for the university. Part-time employment is OK. Since multiple organizations can file for you, you will maintain your H-1B status as long as you are working for at least one of those organizations. The GC process will not interfere with H-1B status. For example, you can work for Co. A in H-1B status and be sponsored by Co. B for the GC process, as long as Co. B plans on hiring you on a "permanent", full-time basis in the future. If you wish to work for Co. B in the interim as well, then Co. B must file an H-1B petition for you.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora