Immigration Issues/Separation from L1


I have a L2 visa because of my husband's L1 visa, whom I've been married to for the last 5 years.  We arrived here in the states on Nov. 24, 2007. I applied for and got my EAD, it expires on March 30, 2009.. But now we're having problems and he wants to separate. I still don't know if he wants to get divorced. My question is, can I use my EAD in another part of the state while being separated? And what would happen if we get divorced? Can I loose my EAD?  Can I or he get in trouble for me not living and working in the same city as him?  what are my options?
Thank you.  

You may use your EAD card while you are separated and living apart.  If you get a divorce then you are no longer on L2 and out of status.  You could have options to stay in the country if a divorce is granted but they are numerous to list in this forum.  I would suggest that consult with an immigration attorney and relate your information to get the best solution.  Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.