You are here:

Immigration Issues/Social Security Number


Dear Alexander J. Hay

I am a Canadian Citzen, I was born and raised in Canada, and I was wondering what, if any, procedure is there for me to obtain a soical security number from the United States?  Also, my father had a soical security number-is there anyway I could apply under his number?  Thank you for your time


Yes and No.  The social security number is only given out now to US citizens, permanent residents, and temporary residents who have been authorized to work.

Non-residents who want to get a tax number for banking purposes or other, get an ITIN.  

So you can get a SS number, but first you must get a visa that allows you to work in the US.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.