Immigration Issues/Specialty Occupation and H-1B

Question
Hi Ajay

I would like to come to the US on F1 student visa to study for a Paralegal Associates Degree approved by the ABA.  I subsequently would like to gain employment as a paralegal on a H-1B visa.  I currently hold a LLB British Law degree which I understand is the equivalent to your Bachelor's degree.  I have been told by colleges that my British qualification means that I may be able to drop a couple of semesters and therefore will be able to complete the course in less than two years.

I note to obtain H-1B status it must be a "specialty occupation" which basically means an occupation that requires a Bachelors degree.

Would this cause a problem for me; i.e. the fact that I am only studying for an associates degree bearing in mind I do already hold a Britsh LLB?

Kind regards  

Answer

You are qualified for H-1B since you have a LLB, which is equivalent of a four-year U.S. degree. Indeed, if there is a law firm ready to file an H-1B petition for you right now, the H-1B petition will be approved. The addition of an associate's (or a U.S. bachelor's degree) is not required.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora