Immigration Issues/Sponsoring Parents.


I am a naturlized U.S. Citizen since 2002.  I would like to sponsor my parents in Pakistan for a green card.

They come to visit us every year in the US.  Could I file for them while they are here?

How long would it take for them to get a green card after I file for them?

What benefits are they eligible for after they get a green card?  Social Security?  Medicare/Medicaid?

Thank you.

Yes. You can file for them while they are here, and they would be able to stay here until the paperwork is finished. If they leave the US, that would be ok, only they would not be able to return to the US until the visa is issued from the consulate in their home country.  I cannot say how long these things take.  Every time I think I know the answer, the answer changes.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.