Immigration Issues/Sponsoring a Spouse a 2nd time

Question
Hi Ajay,

I have a question. I'm married and alien and sponsored him to the US. It didn't work out but we ended on good terms, so we haven't filed for divorce fearing that he will be sent back. It's been about over 1.5Yrs since he's arrived. I have then met someone new, he's also an alien, permitted to stay in the US on a work visa. I just wanted to know if we ended up getting married, after finalizing the divorce to my prior marriage. Would sponsoring him be a problem? Is there a timer period issue? Thanks. Your time and expertise ia much appreciated.

Answer
Hi Jasmine,

There is no problem in marrying the second individual. There is no minimum period of time (after your divorce) that you would have to wait to marry again.

The marriage would be under greater scrutiny than usual only if the person being sponsored obtained permanent resident status, then obtained a divorce, and then married and sponsored someone else again within 5 years, but this does not apply to you since you are the U.S. citizen.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora