Immigration Issues/Student Visa


I know very little to nothing about this subject, so this question may seem pretty basic. A friend of mine is here on a student visa and has been here as such for 3 years. They told me that it is very hard, near impossible to get permanent status or natuaralization, short of marriage to a USC. Is this accurate? What other options exist? Is it as difficult as they say it is?
Thanks in advance,

No.  It is quite possible to change status from that of F-1 student (I'm assuming F-1 status rather than J-1 or M-1) to another status such as an H-1B.  The H-1B permits working in the US for up to 6 years.  During that time it is possible to obtain a green card based on employment.  The above assumes the person earns at least a bachelor's degree.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.