Immigration Issues/Student Visa

Question
Hello,
I know very little to nothing about this subject, so this question may seem pretty basic. A friend of mine is here on a student visa and has been here as such for 3 years. They told me that it is very hard, near impossible to get permanent status or natuaralization, short of marriage to a USC. Is this accurate? What other options exist? Is it as difficult as they say it is?
Thanks in advance,
Jay  

Answer
No.  It is quite possible to change status from that of F-1 student (I'm assuming F-1 status rather than J-1 or M-1) to another status such as an H-1B.  The H-1B permits working in the US for up to 6 years.  During that time it is possible to obtain a green card based on employment.  The above assumes the person earns at least a bachelor's degree.

James D. Mills, Esq.