Immigration Issues/Termination of J1 visa

Question
I am a Post-Doctoral fellow in the Penn State Uty on J1 visa. My job has been terminated with a 7 days notice, which gets over on 30th Nov. I have been informed that after J1 visa gets invalid on 30th, I can stay up to 30 more days in US. Meanwhile I have got an offer from another Uty. But I have been told that the process of transferring my J1 from Penn State to the other Uty can not be completed by 30th November.
Can the transfer be done during the next 30 days grace period I have been given, and can I stay here and start on the new job after the transfer is done?  

Answer
Hi Sameer,

The 30-day grace period allows you to remain legally for 30 days beyond Nov. 30.

The J-1 transfer application should be filed prior to the grace period (before Nov. 30) if you wish to be granted "extension of status" through the other university. If the transfer application is filed later than Nov. 30, you can remain legally in the U.S. only until Dec. 30.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora