You are here:

Immigration Issues/Transfer F-1 to H-1 in oversea


I currently enroll as a student in graduate school. SO, I am in F-1 status. Meanwhile, I am applying premium H-1B now.

When my H-1B got approval in April, can I stop my class, then go back to my country, and use my H-1B to entry U.S at September 15?

My attorney said that I have to stay in U.S, keep my F-1 status until 1st of Oct, then change my F-1 status to H-1 status in U.S. Or else, I have to re-do my H-1.

Please advise.  

Since you have retained an attorney, I would suggest that you reconfirm with him exactly why you could not re-enter the United States with a valid H-1b.  There might be some fact that you did not mention in this email that your attorney is aware of that you have not told me.
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.