You are here:

Immigration Issues/Transfer of expired H1B & H4 with valid I94



I am working for Company A and is currently at a client location in USA. I have recently got me and my family's I94 extended for the next 3 years from my current employer, since my H1B (H4 for family) visa & I94 expired last December. I am now seeking a change of Job and wish to transfer my H1B to Company B. I have already received a new petition along with the approved I94.
My questions are as follows:

1) Can the expired H1B (or H4) be transferred to company B ?

2) What are the things that I need to consider before I move into company B. More specifically, How should I ensure that company B has actually filed a transfer and at what point I should leave company A.

3) Suppose I take the offer from company B and work for a couple of months. If I now go back to India on a vacation and return to USA after a month, than how do I get my H1 (or H4 for family) stamped under Company B's name? Is it something that Company B needs to look into? Or should I be getting a H1B stamped with new company in USA, before I leave for India?

Thanks in advance

Jobseeker: The answers to your questions:
1) I do not understand this question as you state previously that you have extended your I-94 for the next 3 years.

2) You can tranfer to the new company as soon as your H-1B is filed. But if you wish to be sure that you can do so, then you can transfer after receiving the receipt notice.

3) The process to get a new H-1B visa would be similar to the one that you did earlier to enter the US.

Ramasamy Krishnan
Ashley & Krishnan
9801 Westheimer
Suite 302
Houston, TX 77042

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.