Immigration Issues/About Transferring H-1B

Question
Hi Ajay,

Currently, my H-1B sponsor is from a university which is an H-1B cap exempt institute. I recently accept a new position from a company (not H-1B cap exempt institute). The company has already hired a law firm to handling my H-1B transferring. Since H-1B cap has been used for this year, that would mean that I won't be able to start working for the company until October.

When can I officially resign from my currently position at the university and still keep my H-1B status if the company file the H-1B transferring request sometime in April? Thank you.

Cheers,
Tony

Answer
Hi Tony:

Due to the cap, I recommend that you not give your resignation to the university until at least the middle of September. This way there will not be a significant interruption of employment during the transfer of employers. In other words, you will be working for at least one employer as per approved H-1B petition.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora