You are here:

Immigration Issues/Trasfer of H-1B to E-2



I am on H-1 and wife on H-4
My employer is winding his business in a month or so.
I remitted into the US about $ 55,000.00 from abroad and also sold a property in Pakistan to a company doing business in US and they paid $ 50,000.00 to me here in the US.
I had purchased a convenient store with that money.  Which is in business and has employed 3 US nationals on that.
Can I file a petition for change of status from H-1 to E-2, based on the investment?


ANSWER: Yes, their is a possibility for E-2 but I will first need to know your total investment in the store.  
Mark Ashley

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: The total values of the convenient store is $1,000,000.00 and my investment share is 40%, and 40% for my daughter and 20 % for a friend.

This question is too detailed to properly assess.  For example how you valuated the store, total investment in U.S. dollars etc. needs a detailed analysis and should require further consultation with an experienced attorney as emails are inadequate to discuss all issues involved.  You may contact us at
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.