Immigration Issues/Travel with an Expired Green Card

My wife and I have been married for 2 years.  We made the mistake of missing her anniversary date on her conditional resident status.  During this time we have filed an I-751, received an extenstion receipt / notice for 1 year, a received a I-551 stamp on her passport.   I have accepted an expatriot job in Europe for 1 year.  I want her to spend the 1 year with me in Europe but am worried she will be denied re-entry.   Will it be an issue if she stays out of the U.S. for 11 months?  We would travel back to the U.S. if USCIS requires an interview.   If not she would stay with me for 11 of the 12 months I am away.  I would have her return early to avoid passing the I-551 date on her passport.   Are we risking denial of re-entry with all documentation we have?

Should not be a problem. She should cary proof of your temporary job abroad in case she is questioned as to why she has been out so long. You should also gather proof of your marraige over there to show if you are called in for interview.

Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>