Immigration Issues/U.S. Citizen marrying a Japanese citizen

Question
My friend is a U.S. citizen.  He married a Japanese woman whose visa
was about to expire while she was still in the U.S..  Since her visa was
expiring, she returned to Japan.  

My question is, when is the earliest she can return to the U.S. to
rejoin her husband?

Answer

The Japanese spouse would apply for a K-3 visa at a U.S. Consulate in Japan once the initial paperwork has been filed by the U.S. citizen spouse as per http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a

It can take close to a year until your friend's spouse joint him.

Incidentally, the Japanese spouse could have continued to remain in the U.S. legally as long as the appropriate paperwork (Forms I-130 and I-485 filed together with the USCIS) was filed before her visa status expired...but now that she is outside the U.S., the above K-3 process is the best way to bring her to the U.S. to join her U.S. citizen spouse.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora