Immigration Issues/U.S. immigration


Hallo Mr. Alexander J. Hay
My name is rachel and I am a law student. I'm doing a project about the immigration law in U.S. and in U.K.
I have a question and I will be feeling gratitude if you give me an answer as soon as possible so I will be able to finish my work.
My question is: In what circumstances the INS will permit an alien with a criminal past/record to enter U.S.?
With thanks

That is a big question.  But the issue here is Exclusion.  The basic rule is that Aliens with Crimes of Moral Turpitude are excluded.  Now not all crimes involve Moral Turpitude.  Also, there is a number of years that can pass that cure the defect for minor crimes.  Finally, there are times when such bars can be waived, as in the case of an alien married to a US citizen.  Almost all violation except for the most severe are waived.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]